Sunday, October 4, 2009

When I Need Comfort - Psalm 23

There are only six verses in the 23 chapter of Psalm, so as usual; I decided to read the entire chapter before I started writing. Then I found four different versions that aroused my attention, and I have copied all four versions below. Note: I tried to copy verbatim, and this is very hard to do on a personal computer. The computer refuses to copy small case letters where capitols are required. It will not allow partial sentences, and so you may find that my attempt is not PERFECT…BUT it is close enough for you to see the many differences in the way this chapter is written.

One fact makes these differences great in my sight. Though very different…THERE ARE NO CONTRADICTIONS. God’s word is truth! Many different writers stood on different viewing stands and wrote about the same incident. They all used their own language, their own understanding, but were all inspired by the same Holy Spirit that brought the whole truth out of every story we read. God is great and without error and he did not allow the writers of his Word to error.

NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION

1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. [I shall not want. Or,
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, I shall not be in the
He leads me beside quiet waters, state of want.] [We
3 he restores my soul. could want but not
He guides me in paths of righteousness have a need]
For his namesake.
4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5You prepare a table before me
In the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6Surely goodness and love will follow me [Some say mercy and love will
all the days of my life, follow]
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

PSALM 23…AUTHORIZED KING JAMES VERSION

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil: my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.



PSAM 23…NEW KING JAMES VERSION

The Lord is my shepherd: I shall not want.
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.

4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
for you are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

5You prepare a table
before me in the
presence of my
enemies;
You anoint my head with
oil;
My cup runs over.
6Surely goodness and
mercy shall follow me
All the days of life;
And I will dwell in the
house of the Lord
Forever.

PSALMS 23…NEW AMERICAN STANDARD VERSION

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.

3 He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the valley of
the shadow of death,
I fear no evil; for thou
art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff,
they comfort me.

5 Thou dost prepare a table
Before me in the presence of my enemies;
Thou hast anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.

6 surely goodness and loving kindness will follow me all the days
of my life,
And I will dwell in the
house of the Lord forever.


PSALM 23…TODAY’S ENGLISH VERSION By Nelson

The Lord is my shepherd; [This version removes the possibility of wanting
I have everything I a person may not need.]
Need.
2He lets me rest in fields of [He can rest while sitting, strolling, or
Green grass standing. Rest is over mind and not
and leads me to quiet pools position of body.]
of fresh water.

3He gives me new strength. [God keeps his promise.]
He guides me in the right
Paths,
as he has promised.
4Even if I go through the
Deepest darkness, [To David, deepest darkness may not be death.]
I will not be afraid, Lord,
for you are with me.
Your shepherd’s rod and staff
protect me.
5You prepare a banquet for
me,
where all my enemies can [My enemies may not just be present, but they
see me; actually see me while you welcome me.]
you welcome me as an
honored guest
and fill my cup to the brim.
6 I know that your goodness
and love will be with me
all my life;
and your house will be my
home as long as I live.

If you were writing a Psalm to God this morning, what would you use as the back-drop or bases for your thinking? How would you make your petition to God seem realistic enough that God would know your deepest worries, sorrows, needs and desires? David had been a shepherd and understood what he had meant to his sheep. He used this metaphor to explain to God that he placed the same dependency in his shepherd—God almighty; as did the sheep experienced under his, David’s watch.

There are many examples in the Word where we are known as the sheep; and where God is the Good Shepherd. No animal is more dependent upon total leadership from an earthly shepherd. And man is the only animal that is spiritually dependent upon the Heavenly Shepherd. The New Testament tells us that He is our great Shepherd…the good Shepherd, and as he is our Shepherd so we are his sheep. One circumstance makes our position even greater; we are not passive or frightened animals but wise and obedient followers. This passage does not deal with the animal like qualities of the sheep, but it deals with the qualities of disciples of God as followers of his shepherding.

David is pictured here as one most dependent upon his God and he gives him complete credit for all good that is his to enjoy. David, as a mortal man had some desires that were undesirable to God, but if in His will, he never was left suffer a need unfilled. When his mind was on God he never had a need for food [green pastures] or water, always quiet and pure.

When David’s sinful nature bothered him…God restored his soul and he was soon guided back into the pathway of righteousness. This was not for David, but for His name’s sake…so that he can be honored for His greatness.

David was a great man of God, but not so great that he did not have fear when evil approached him. The giant stood in his way; he could have feared the death of an approaching spear…it was a shadow of death to him—but his faith was so great that he knew that all was well so long as God was with him and that they were on the same side. As he approached the giant, he was able to visualize God as a great shepherd, standing in the gap with his rod and staff in hand, ready to intercede for him in a moment of need.

The 23 Psalm is only six verses long; however no passage long or shout, has more proof of complete confidence of any other man in his God. God exhibits complete concern in his sheep all the way from the food they eat, water they drink, through all of their life and then that time that comes when we pass through the shadows of death to a bright and shinning tomorrow. Our heart is our cup, and it should be constantly filled to overflowing. If you were finishing your Psalm to God right now, what other grounds would you use to prove your complete dependency upon your GREAT SHEPHERD? Pray for me! Oh! You have. You do. And you will…then I thank you.

No comments: