Sunday, July 12, 2009

Be Responsible - Galatians 6:1-18

What is your responsibility as a Christian? What is mine? Are they the same? Could there be a difference in the responsibility that two different Christians have to the Lord? As students attend school each day, each one is responsible for his assignments and is graded on his quality of work. You are attending your school of Christian work and God will grade you on how well you complete your assignments. Do you prefer God to grade you on “the curve” or individually? What I mean by the curve system is explained below so study it before you make up your mind.

Some school teachers grade all their students on what is called the bell curve; and it is a figure that looks something like the roof of a metal building or a rainbow which is divided into five parts. On the left of the curve and going up, 8% of the highest scores are listed as 100 to 92 and =A, excellent. From 91 to 80 is counted as a B, and considered above average. Students that are considered as average are those that finish the curve toward the top and the grade of 60 or one half or 60% of answers as correct. Below average and barely passing are those in the range of 59% down to a score of 42 %. Any score below 42 percent is considered as failing. In this context, each student is scored in relationship to the scores made by all students in the test group.

What I am asking you is this. Would you like to be compared to all other fellow Christians when Christ gives you your final score on how well you live your life for him while here on earth? Or, would you prefer Him to compare what you do to what you are capable of doing for him? In order to answer this question with any validity you must decide the questions. First, are you doing better or worse than others? Or are you doing more or less than you are really capable of doing? Now I am talking about works and not faith. There is no grade for faith. You either believe or you do not believe. You tell me, “I am Baptist, saved by faith, and so works don’t count.” Now I remind you that we will soon study the book of James who will tell you that your faith without works is dead; and I also remind you that there is no conflict between Paul’s teaching and the teaching of James. The scripture is clear; works always come as evidence of your faith.

I don’t know whether or not you realize it but we are no longer talking about salvation by grace that requires no works, but only faith. We are now talking about the person who has salvation locked up by grace through faith—but still has the great responsibility of obeying God, doing his will, and living by his precepts. You are now a Christian, saved by grace and cannot be lost for any reason, BUT, what kind of grade are you making in the school of life? The title of this lesson today is BE RESPONSIBLE. And I am asking you just HOW RESPONSIBLE ARE YOU? How secure do you feel? Are you ready to take the test? That is are you ready to stand before God in the Judgment? I really do not know why I ask you if you wanted Him to grade you on the curve—because you do not have a choice. You and I will be judged as individuals according to how well we do with what we have to do with…HOW RESPONSIBLE ARE WE?
I know John Vandiver better than I know any of you, and so I will use him as the example of Christian that I personally worry about. I have read and studied the Bible until I feel comfortable that I recognize overt sin that confronts me. I have reached the place in my Christian life that I am able to say, “Get behind me Satan, leave me alone, I will not live my life with, in or for you;” and I have few problems dealing with him as he deserves. However, I am sometimes tired, sleepy, weak, and worn-out or just plain lazy and I realize that there is a task that needs to be done for Christ, but I fail to respond to the task. Then there are times that opportunities present themselves in such a way that I do not recognize it when it appears. I really do have problems distinguishing between problems and opportunities. I am afraid that if my heaviest load of sin is one of commission, I will bee in deep trouble. My problem will more likely be one of omission; some intended; which means that I recognized the opportunity do something that needed to be done, and did not do it. However, I believe that the most of my sins are unintended on my part. I just do not react instantaneously to problems of need; for some reason I seem to see them later, after my opportunity to react has past by. My prayer to God is that He will be able to place this failure into a category that lays less blame to the sinner.

Doing good to all the people concerned is an example of works. Helping others who are in need is works. Read Chapter 6: 1-18 and get a glimpse of what it means to do good to all.

“My brothers if someone is caught in any kind of wrongdoing [SIN], those of you who are spiritual should set him right; but you must do it in a gentle way.” Now let me warn you that you had better keep your eyes open and your prayer-life strong so that the same sin your brother has committed will not overtake you. The devil will use situations like this to tempt you to fall into sin. Remember well, this same fault may be yours to bear some day and you will need to call on others for assistance.

No Christian should ever feel so independent that they never need help from others in the faith, and no one should ever feel that they have been excused from helping others who need help. The church is the body of Christ on earth and it only functions when the members work together for the common good. Do you know someone who needs help? Is the need one of instruction? What about correction? Or is the need simply for encouragement? Read John 13: 24-25

When you do your very best, you feel good about the results. There is never any need to compare yourself with others. People make comparisons for many reasons. Some point out others’ flaws in order to feel better about themselves. Others are searching for reassurance that they are doing well. When you are tempted to compare, look at Jesus Christ and compare yourself to him for he is the only good example that is worth using. And his loving acceptance will always comfort you when you fall short of your own expectations. Remember what I said about Christ grading us on the bell-curve? You are grading yourself on the bell-curve if you are comparing your actions to those of your friends. And I believe that by now you are beginning to understand why we do not want Christ to use the bell-curve to evaluate us. We need his mercy and not justice.

Man, I really like the sixth verse! I will quote it for you from the “GOOD NEWS FOR MODEREN MAN Bible. “The people in this class who are being taught the Christian message should share all the good things he or she has with John Vandiver, Heber Springs, Arkansas.” Ok, I know the Bible tells me not to add or take away one “jot” or “tittle” and I have sinned and added the teacher’s name. Just never take my word without question…always check God’s word and see if I am misleading you. Read the sixth verse in your Bible and see what it really says. This subject is also addressed in 1 Timothy, 5: 17 -18.

We have come to the most profound message in the Bible regarding the position “works” has in the life of a Christian. It is another great teaching following verse six. “Do not deceive yourselves; no one makes a fool of God. A man will reap exactly what he plants. If he plants in the field of his natural desires, from it he will gather the harvest of death; if he plants in the field of the Spirit, from the Spirit he will gather the harvest of eternal life. So let us not become tired of doing good; for if we do not give up, the time will come when we will reap the harvest. So then, as often as we have the chance, we should do good to everyone, but especially to those who belong to our family in the faith.” {Good News Bible}

I sometimes wonder why people will defy nature and expect to win. It is “the law of nature”—God’s law of the harvest and it will never fail. You can not plant seed corn and reap watermelons; or tomato seed and gather pepper. This is so simple that people with weak minds can understand. This law applies to other areas of our lives…YOU WILL REAP WHAT YOU SOW. Every action has a guaranteed result. Gossip about your friends and you will loose your friends. Plant to reap only your own desires and you will reap a crop of evil and sorrow. If you plant to please God, you will reap joy and everlasting life. What kind of seeds are you sowing?

I attended the first deacon retreat held after Bro. J.R. arrived as our pastor. The study material contained a survey that asked each deacon to predict the growth of the church over the coming years. I remember with sadness that my prediction was for us to grow until we would realize a weekly attendance of 1000 or more in Sunday Morning church services. I have been and still am very discouraged that the numbers did not materialize. I am happy to say that the quality of our spiritual experiences together has surely improved. It is so wonderful to experience business meetings that are conducted without strife, bickering, and open conflict.

It is discouraging though when we try week after week to do right and receive no word of thanks or see tangible results. Paul challenged the Galatians and he challenges us to keep on doing “good works” and then trust God for the results. We must believe—in due time we will reap a harvest of blessings. It may not come in the numbers that I had hoped for in this church—but it will and has come in spiritual strength, and especially in the missionary outreach of this church. And if we remain faithful, it will come in numbers of new Christian members.

Some of the time Paul used a scribe to do his writing as he dictated, at other times he actually wrote to us in his own hand. It is obvious that the remainder of this chapter, starting with verse eleven was written by Paul in person. He must have increased the size of the print being used so that it would be obvious that he was emphasizing what he was telling them. As you read this listen carefully to the tone in his voice. It is pretty obvious that he has reached the end of his patients with his critics.

“See what big letters I make as I write to you now with my own hand! Those who want to show off and brag about external matters are the ones who are trying to force you to be circumcised. They do it, however, openly that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ. Even those who practice circumcision do not obey the law; they want you to be circumcised so they can boast that you submitted to this physical ceremony. As for me, however, I will boast only of the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ; for by means of his cross the world is dead to me, and I am dead to the world. It does not matter at all whether or not one is circumcised. What does matter is being a new creature.”

No comments: